GRP linings are often used to provide leak proofing in both new-build and refurbishment
projects. They are excellent coatings for a variety of surfaces, including metals, concrete and
bricks, wood, as well as glass fiberglass/GRP surfaces.
Advantages of GRP Lining
● Chemical resistance: GRP lining exhibits great chemical resistance. Based on recorded
evaluations, chemical resistance of GRP lining is highly appreciated.
● Low electric conductivity: GRP materials are poor conductors of electricity. This is the
reason why GRP lining is preferred in places involving the use of electrical equipment.
● Water safety: GRP lining is free of pollutants and doesn’t contaminate water. GRP lining
is a safe option to make water tanks leak proof.
● Fire Safety: GRP has a higher threshold of heat resistance, making it a much safer option
for certain situations.
● Heat resistance: GRP lining consisting of polyester resin reinforced with fiberglass
matbase have good thermal properties and are best suited for high temperature countries
where the temperature can rise above 50 ° C.
● Age resistance: GRP gives a better return over time by increasing the lifespan of storage
● High strength material: GRP is a strong material and GRP lining strengthens the coated
Methodology of GRP lining
- The surface to be GRP coated is cleaned by removing any loose particles, latitude, dust,
oils, grease etc. All corners would be made curved before applying GRP lining.
- GRP lamination is generally carried out in the sequence of ceiling, then wall, and finally
- First layer of putty is filled and a resin coating is applied as an undercoat.
- Chopped strand mat is laminated by applying unsaturated polyester resin to obtain 1 mm
thickness lining thickness. This is used as the second layer.
- The same procedure is repeated for the third and fourth layers.
- A thick layer of white gel coat is applied for filling pinholes and is allowed to be cured.
On an average the expected thickness of the GRP lining would be about 3- 4 mm.
- GRP lining of pipes is done depending on the complete structure.
- All necessary mechanical, electrical and plumbing works are done prior to
commencement of the lamination work.
- Proper inspection is done by a site engineer before and after GRP lining in major
- The regular use of the GRP coated surface is only started after the approval from the
Safety precautions undertaken before and after GRP lining:
● In case of GRP lining of water tanks, the filling of water is only initiated after approval
from the engineer to ensure the safety of water
● In some cases additional curing time is allowed to be extra safe.
● Extra precautions are taken when GRP lining is done in confined places. A standard GRP
lining service provider implements a confined space work permit system to ensure the
safety of the workers.
● Proper ventilation is ensured.
● Experienced professionals work for top GRP lining service providers who are very
cautious. They avoid chemical contact with skin and eye.
● Equipment like rubber gloves, eye gloves, protective covering are used during the GRP
● Proper scaffolding and lighting arrangements are made.
● Company safety team is always alert and present near the work site in order to take
immediate action in case of any issue.
Al-Harth Fiberglass is the leading GRP lining service provider in the UAE with three decades of
experience in this field. We ensure the quality of the GRP lining and take all necessary
precautions while executing the work. Our team completes the work as per method statement,
inspection, test plan, checklist, work permit, project safety steps etc.